The Olympics have come and gone and proved to be yet another example of the good that can happen when we come together as a people to celebrate and respect everything that makes us great.
Unless you're Ryan Lochte.
Look. We get it. Being a dudebro is hard. And who are we to misunderstand the art in getting plowed, trashing a bathroom with your fellow dudebros and causing a minor international incident by recounting the events of the eventing to authorities with YOU in the role of Jason Bourne. We get it.
Except we don't.
It's, in the biz, referred to as "being a complete and total douchebag."
And thanks to Lochte and his cadre of bro's, people are more likely to remember this bullshit than the remarkable achievements of true winners like Katie Ledecky, Simone Biles, and so many other remarkable American Olympians who somehow, some way, were able to travel to another country, compete, and NOT be a total douchebag.
Today we celebrate this remarkable American achievement with a playlist that speaks to our frustration and shame, but most of all, our American awesomeness.
If you listen closely, you can hear it whisper: "This is why we can't have nice things."
(Playlist by Kevin, Mauricio, Eduardo)
Things to do with yourself/others
- Al Di Meola Electric Band @ the Hamilton
- Boat Burning: Music for 70 Guitars with Anthony Pirog Quartet @ Black Cat (Mainstage @ a benefit for DC Statehood)
- The Funk Ark and Nikhil P. Yerawadekar & Low Mentality @ Gypsy Sally's
- Ben Tufts & Friends Afternoon Showcase @ Jammin' Java (2 PM Afternoon Show)
- Ben Tufts & Friends featuring Virginia Creep (featuring JR from Pig Destroyer) release show, Accidents, FuzzQueen @ Jammin' Java (Late show @ 9:30 PM)
- The Marian McLaughlin Trio, the Wytold Ensemble, and Louis Weeks @ Songbyrd Music House & Record Café
- Johnny Fantastic, Reservations, and Alex Tebeleff @ Marx Café
- Hockey Dad and Muuy Biien @ DC9
- PigPen Theatre Co. and Morningsiders @ Jammin' Java
- Banks & Steelz (Paul Banks & RZA) @ 9:30 Club
- Ayes Cold, the Kominas, Saraswathi Jones, Evilartform, and Laughing Man @ St. Stephen & the Incarnation Episcopal Church (Anti-Discrimination Benefit)
- Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band @ the River Tour @ Nationals Park [1500 South Capitol St SE, WDC]
- The Claypool Lennon Delirium and Marco Benevento @ 9:30 Club
*Got a show you want added to the list? Hit us up at email@example.com.